Background and objectives:
To support essential reforms in territorial and urban development, to stimulate investments and to assist the EU integration process, a regional effort for strengthening of institutional, human and investment absorption capacity is essential. This sub-regional programme serves as a framework for demand-driven capacity building and TA, investments for sustainable communities and self-sustaining regional co-operation.
The objectives were to:
- Begin regional co-operation activities by strengthening collaborative networks of central governments’ agencies, national municipal associations, civil society and academic institutions.
- Define and launch priority capacity-strengthening activities at all levels and produce outputs for dissemination.
- Formulate and implement a number of key project initiatives, selected because of their potential for replicability and broader impact.
- Support the implementation of the Vienna Declaration on Informal Settlements.
The main activities include:
- Monitoring of the implementation of the Vienna Declaration commitments.
- Pilot activities implemented in Albania, Montenegro and Macedonia.
- Strategy for development and scaling-up being refined and revised in consultation with regional partners and interested donors.
- Resource mobilisation to finance the main phase.
The results achieved are:
- Regional co-operation strengthened and formalised through a system of exchange networks and an inclusive Regional Urban Forum devoted to the analysis and the reform of the urban sector.
- Major progress in legalisation processes through improved procedural frameworks and enhanced municipal planning.
- Improved national urban policy frameworks through legal, regulatory, institutional reform and the formulation of strategic programmes based on broad public consensus.
- Enhanced urban management capacities through the introduction of improved instruments.