Background and objectives:
The objectives of this programme were:
- To facilitate the introduction and adoption by Seogwipo City on a pilot basis, of the UNHABITAT SCP approach for the development of eco-cities in an ESSD perspective at a local-government level and development of a sustainable strategy.
- To facilitate international exchanges and sharing regarding SCP/EPM approaches globally,
- To derive the lessons and blue print for possible replication initially in Korea and
- To launch an Ecocity Network in Korea. Ultimately, the project should contribute to enhancing the livelihoods of the local people.
The main activities included:
- Analysis and assessment of lessons learned in ROK for creating a sustainable city in Korea and development of a Korean-style SCP model
- Building and operating the national Ecocity Network
- Facilitate international exchanges and sharing regarding SCP/EPM approaches globally.
The results achieved were:
- Korean-style SCP model: Seogwipo pilot case developed
- Translations of SCP snapshot and SCP/EPM briefings sheets completed.
- Two training workshops, first to experts and stakeholders introducing the SCP/EPM process, and the second to the Task Force team and City Consultation Committee on preparing the Environmental Profile conducted.
- Two environmental management strategies developed on biodiversity and water friendly cities as annexes to the Environmental Profile submitted
- Hanam evaluation report submitted
- Active training and dissemination conducted by Eco-city network secretary (coordinator)
- National Ecocity Network in Korea set up
- International exposure and experience sharing/gaining of EPM knowledge enhanced.